Saturday, March 29, 2008

Scenes from "Community Next"

Forget the coffee...this morning it's red bull (or mimosas for the brave...which I am).

This is my first "live blog" as I'm here at the Community Next: Next Generation Media and the Web event in Hollywood. No suits...no ties...free wireless of course...and a good mid mix of ages (I'm not the oldest or youngest!) A very diverse crowd from start-ups to bloggers to programmers to the "big guys". We're in a night club (Level 3), which I must say beats a conference center.

First, Josh Berman of Slingshot Labs and MySpace is talking about how soon (and for the young - now) everyone will be "living thier lives online." He sees MySpace and Facebook as the main platforms, but they will leverage other social network apps to feed into them.

Now a panel on Entertainment Online with Gaia, Disney-ABC, and Endemol USA. Interesting comment from Charles Hudson of Gaia (a community roleplaying site)...they have an "online movie theatre" for people to put their avatars in the seats...you can watch real movies online, or even old Ricki Lake shows (which he says was surprisingly popular).

Do I need an avatar? lol.

No comments: